Welcome to the United States

The Biden Administration begins to process asylum-seekers. Millions were forced to remain in Mexico under the Trump Administration into the United States.

March 28, 2021

Millions of immigrants who have been living in dangerous conditions in Mexico are now allowed to enter the United States due to the Biden Administration. These immigrants have been living under the “Remain in Mexico” policy implemented by the Trump Administration. 

“I feel as if it is a good decision by the Biden administration since it will help people in need and give opportunities to people to contribute to the country and make it a better place. The Trump administration had made it hard for the immigrants in Mexico and it is a good thing that the Biden Administration is allowing them to come into the United States, which will improve their lives,” sophomore Abhik Saha stated. 

The policy, Migrant Protection Protocol (MPP), was created and implemented on Jan. 19, 2019 and was administered by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). According to DHS, foreign individuals entering or seeking entrance into the U.S. from Mexico – illegally or without proper documentation – may be deported back to Mexico and must wait outside of the U.S. for the duration of their immigration proceedings. The goal of the Trump Administration was to provide a safer and more orderly process that will discourage individuals from attempting illegal entry along with making false claims to stay in the U.S. and to allow more legitimate asylum seekers permission to enter into the United States. This policy had been criticized by many international organizations stating that it was inhumane since it put many families in danger due to the lack of shelter and the cases of kidnappings, extortion, and violence raising every day  

“I disagree with it because that will cause a large influx of deportations from our country, which will reduce the diversity of the country as a whole and will be a loss of opportunity for the U.S economy as those people have the potential to contribute greatly to our economy,” said sophomore Ryan Ullah. 

Many immigrants who were forced to stay in Mexico under the Trump Administration’s “Remain in Mexico” policy had no access to basic resources such as food, water and shelter and have become targets of violence as they waited months or years before they were allowed to make their case for asylum in a U.S. court. About 70,000 immigrants have been enrolled in the ” Remain in Mexico” policy.  

“The officials under the Biden Administration have estimated more than 25,000 migrants are currently waiting at the border under the program, and said they would begin allowing approximately 600 per day to enter,” stated NBC News.

According to NBC News, as of right now, asylum-seekers will go through “phase one” in which they are first tested for Covid, and then transferred to one of three entry posts where they will be permitted to enter the U.S. There are two main ports which are expected to process up to 300 people per day in the first phase.   

“I think this is a great opportunity for Mexicans, but Biden needs to be able to organize it well and step up as our president,” sophomore Neha Jagadish said. 

After the first phase, immigrants can wait on their court dates, and the transition to end the “Remain in Mexico” policy begins.