Valentina Jaramillo is a senior in the IB program. This is her first year writing as a staff writer for The Legend. She enjoys painting, writing, and going to the beach. She is a part of the Latin Dance club and president of the Cards For Kids Club.
THE DECADE WRAPPED
The new decade has arrived, so take a moment to reminisce the past 10 years.
January 21, 2020
With another decade under its belt, the world welcomes the 20s with open arms. The 2010s have been heavily packed with monumental moments that have transformed society. From great political movements to iconic pop culture trends, this decade holds milestones that will forever be remembered in history.
- The app Instagram was launched.
- The first iPad was released.
- The Affordable Care Act was signed into law.
- The messaging app Snapchat was launched.
- Rebecca Black’s song “Friday” comes out.
- The last Harry Potter book, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” was released.
- “Gangnam Style” became the most watched video on Youtube.
- In December, everyone thought the world was going to end.
- The Summer Olympics were held in London.
- Trayvon Martin was shot and killed by George Zimmerman.
- “The Harlem Shake” was an internet sensation and trend.
- People became musical geniuses with Anna Kendrick’s “Cup Song,” which became a trend.
- Everyone had the song “What Does the Fox Say?” stuck in their heads and racked up 200 million views on Youtube.
- People everywhere were doing the “ice bucket challenge” to raise money for ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) research.
- The infamous Malaysian Airplane disappeared where 227 passengers went missing.
- The most iconic selfie was taken at the Oscars with host Ellen Degeneres, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradly Cooper, and Meryl Streep.
- First racially diverse emojis by Apple.
- Same sex marriage was made legal in the US.
- People had heated arguments over the white and gold or black and blue dress.
- The video app Vine shut down.
- Leonardo Dicaprio won his first Oscar.
- A new president, Donald Trump, was voted into office.
- The app TikTok was created.
- Women’s March in Washington D.C occured on January 21.
- The first total solar eclipse since 1918 took place.
- #Metoo movement was popularized by women around the world
- Beyonce headlines for Coachella, making her the first black woman to do so.
- Students led a March for Our Lives demonstration to protest gun violence.
- “Black Panther,” “Avengers Infinity War” and “Incredibles 2” topped the box office.
- An egg became the most-liked picture on instagram with over five million likes.
- President Trump was impeached.
- The song “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X holds the number one spot on the charts for 19 weeks.